We’ve been Tofu Paté fans since way back, but hadn’t ever really gotten around to giving it a from-scratch whirl until Mom & Dad Cook went all vegan on us. Mom Cook is a phenomenal home chef and once we had a sample of the Tofu Paté she was making we just knew we had to give it a go ourselves.
It’s a fabulous Egg Salad substitute on sandwiches and wraps and kicks royal heiny straight out of the tub on crackers, celery, baby carrots, etc.
This recipe ends up pretty close in flavor to the über popular Toby’s Tofu Paté that we used to consume in vast quantities (I’m convinced that the large size tub is a single serving) so if you’re searching for a substitute then look no further.
The Tofu we like is WildWood Super Firm from LifeSource Natural Foods. The Jalapenos we used are the Mezzetta “Tamed” variety. They have all the flavor of the regular pickled Jalapenos but at a heat level that’s a bit more user-friendly.
- 20oz Extra Firm Tofu, mushed up ruthlessly
- 1 Celery Rib, diced
- 1/4 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 large or 3 wee Dill Pickles, diced
- 8 “Tamed” Jalapeno Rings, diced
- 2 Tbsp Capers
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder
- There are two ways to go about this: the easy way (throw it all in a food processor) and the way we did it – which is to mash, chop, and mix everything by hand
- As noted in the ingredients, mush up the Tofu mercilessly. You can do this with a fork or something but it’s way easier to do with your hands
- Very finely dice the Celery, Bell Pepper, Pickles, and Jalapeno Rings and add them to the mix
- Toss in the Mayo, Mustard, Capers, and Curry Powder and give it all a good stir.
- Serve with crackers or in sandwiches and wraps.